This will be a quick update. This week was a bit crazy. First, I managed to get some firm numbers and technical info on glycol chillers. They are expensive. My hope is to find a used one somewhere. I finally received the latest malt analysis sheets from Country Malt Group, and now I know how to get them anytime I need them very quickly from their website (more on that later). I entered the new numbers in my spreadsheet so now I have my ingredient costs nailed down very, very tightly based on gravity, efficiency, malt extract potential, hop prices, hop utilization (using Tinseth), and oh so much more.
I also received a quote for a used walk in cooler, which is an essential piece of equipment to keep your beer fresh while waiting to be shipped/sold. I’ll cover that in detail later.
I now have a quote from a third brewery equipment vendor which leaves exactly one outstanding request. At this point, I think I’ve decided on whom I’m going to go with, but it’s not set in stone yet.
The biggest pieces missing from my business plan numbers are the steam boiler and all construction costs. I should have the steam boiler cost figured out very shortly. Next week will be all about construction estimates. I have a few friends here in Chicago who can guide me in the right direction for various types of contractors. I’ll be nailing down the costs for electrical, plumbing, steam pipe fitting, concrete, and refrigeration.
My next few posts will cover some of the aforementioned items in detail and I’ll also finish up part 2 of the brew house. So much to do and I love every second of it.
Thanks for all the support everyone. This shit is gettin’ real!